Sunday 29 April 2012

Goodbye cruel world

- my creativity tube -
By the end of these approaching examinations, I will be a zombie. A shell of my former self, speaking in bullet points with my right, essay-writing arm three times the size of my illiterate left arm. I will be speaking and thinking in three different languages, normal day-to-day English, Irish, and exam English.

Exam English utilises words like 'aforementioned', 'ultimately' and 'Indeed' more than should be necessary and I hate myself for it. When writing an essay during the rest of the year, I am slightly more relaxed and the overall result is a more pleasant one for the reader. Come May/June I write like a machine, all humour and creativity has officially left the building, away on a two month holiday.

This is why my blog will suffer. I am surviving on the creativity at the bottom of the tube, desperately squeezing at it to no avail. My output since Easter time has been more sporadic, less interesting, quite boring and silently desperate as exam season looms. Where once ideas were swimming around my head, now lies a formulaic approach to writing with the sole intention of impressing the mysterious examiner.

So expect posts to be few and far between until I restock my creativity tubes and hopefully the sacrifice will be worthwhile. Also, as my better work is behind me, take a gander at my back catalogue including the underrated list of why people like lists.

Just to reiterate, do not judge me or my blog on the next seven(ish) weeks, It's not really me, it's someone pretending to be me and not doing a very good job.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your exams, Joseph! After studying for written and oral exams in medical school and residency, I can really empathize with you. Who knows, you may even find that your blogs are more focused during this time frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I remember those days. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to worry - there are more tubes in the department stores - and some are even relatively cheaply acquired! Once all those facts quit swimming around in your brain, your juices will flow, and you'll wow us all!

    ReplyDelete